Nagendra row: BJP, JD(S) announce Vidhana Soudha siege on 24 August
R Ashoka alleged that more than 34 cases are pending against Nagendra and said the BJP has compiled details of 35 cases.
PTI
-
The Opposition has disrupted proceedings in both Houses for five consecutive days over Nagendra’s induction into the Cabinet (ANI)
Bengaluru, 23 August
Leader of the Opposition in the Karnataka Assembly R Ashoka on Sunday announced that the BJP and its ally JD(S) would lay siege to Vidhana Soudha in Bengaluru on 24 August seeking the removal of Planning and Statistics Minister B Nagendra from the cabinet.
Proceedings in both the Legislative Assembly and Council have been disrupted for five consecutive days over Nagendra’s induction into the DK Shivakumar-led Cabinet. Day and night dharansa have also been held across the State. Nagendra was implicated in the in the Rs 89 crore Karnataka Maharshi Valmiki Scheduled Tribes Development Corporation scam, and had resigned as a Minister during Siddaramaiah’s tenure.
“There are more than 34 cases involving him, and all these cases are related to looting,” Ashoka alleged at a press conference. The ‘Vidhana Soudha Chalo’ march will begin at 9.30am.
He questioned the Congress leadership's “loyalty”, asking whether it stood with the interests of Scheduled Tribes, constitutional values and proper utilisation of taxpayers' money, or with Nagendra.
The LoP claimed that the BJP had compiled details of 35 cases, including those relating to mining and the Valmiki Corporation.
He said he had held a detailed discussion with Union Minister and JD(S) state president HD Kumaraswamy, who, according to Ashoka, supported continuing the agitation.
Referring to the CBI's findings, Ashoka said Rs 89.63 crore had allegedly been diverted through forged cheques and RTGS transactions and subsequently layered through about 600 bank accounts before being converted into cash, luxury vehicles and gold.
He further alleged that the investigation had identified Nagendra as a beneficiary of a benami vehicle purchased with diverted funds and claimed that Rs 1.2 crore in alleged illegal gratification was routed through Nagaraj into accounts linked to Nagendra's sister, brother-in-law, personal assistant and a farmhouse owner in Ballari.
He alleged that Rs 15.50 lakh had also been paid to a section officer and demanded that the documents relating to the alleged transactions be discussed in the Assembly.
Ashoka said that all this had been presented to the government and was available in Assembly records. Ashoka expressed confidence that Nagendra would tender his resignation on Monday.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister DK Shivakumar hit back, saying that the BJP wanted to disrupt the proceedings in both the Houses.
"Let them do whatever they want. There is a law of this land, in this country. I don't want to disturb them. Let them do anything legally.
“What they are doing is nothing but hooliganism,” Shivakumar said in response to a question. “Do whatever you want within the framework of that law… But I am saying, at least give notice and discuss it (in the Houses).”
He also noted that many BJP MPs, Union Ministers and Chief Ministers have cases against them.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




